Position: Recycling Assistant/Roll-Off Truck Driver
Department: Winneshiek County Recycling Department
Reports to: Winneshiek County Recycling Department Supervisor
Winneshiek County Board of Supervisors
This is a full-time position that is responsible for assisting with all aspects of the operation of the Winneshiek County Recycling Department and driving a roll off truck.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Process the daily intake of recyclable materials into the correct grade with the maximum market value.
- Drive a roll-off truck to the various collection sites and deliver the bins to the recycling plant
- Generate the maximum revenue possible out of each situation throughout the day for Winneshiek County.
- Provide prompt and courteous service to all visitors and haulers.
- Answer waste disposal, waste reduction, and recycling questions.
- Maintain a safe and orderly facility.
- Identify, report, and carry out correction, when possible, of any safety issues.
- Practice continual process improvement, participate in all operating efficiency improvement efforts, and evaluate them.
- Assist and work effectively with individuals receiving services through the Department of Labor, Department of Human Services, Department of Education, and Department of Corrections.
- Perform routine maintenance on all equipment.
- Operate multiple types of processing equipment simultaneously and efficiently.
- Properly load and unload trucks and have full understanding of DOT regulations.
- Create proper shipping documentation and distribute it as required.
- Perform all custodial duties.
- Participate in professional development opportunities as required.
- Practice and assist with the promotion of waste reduction and recycling efforts and be knowledgeable of waste disposal, landfill, and recycling regulations.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Winneshiek County Recycling Department Supervisor, and or Winneshiek County Board of Supervisors.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can safely perform the essential functions of the job.
- Have full understanding of the financial impact of daily decisions and always carry out the decisions correctly.
- Ability to interact constantly with the public in a positive manner.
- Demonstrate competency in prior skid loader and forklift operation.
- Ability to perform necessary documentation accurately and deal directly with all entities involved.
- Ability to adapt to constant change without delay.
- Basic computer knowledge, including use of Word and Excel.
- Obtain certification in the handling of Household Hazardous Material.
- Obtain other certifications as required.
- Be able to lift and carry 65 pounds on a regular basis.
- Must possess a valid Class B CDL.
Education: High School diploma or GED. A post-secondary degree is desirable.
Experience: Two years experience working in a continually changing production environment with frequent public interaction and financial decision making. A proven track record of making constant correct financial decisions is required. Prior waste disposal and recycling industry experience is preferable.
Most work is performed in a fast paced indoors production setting. Some outdoor work will be required. Temperature extremes will vary considerably. Punctuality is critical. Interaction with the public is continual throughout the day and will often be non-stop. The financial impact of correct decision making is substantial. Enhancement of the revenue from the materials processed is a major part of the position. This is a physically demanding position. People that visit the recycling facility almost always arrive happy and it is your responsibility to make sure they leave happy if possible. You will have to be very innovative in solving many of their problems. You are the face of the county to everyone that you encounter. Working weekends, the day after Thanksgiving, the day after Christmas, and holidays may be required.