Military Records

The Recorder’s Office has on permanent record military discharges that have been presented for recording by the veterans, themselves. There is no charge to record, or obtain a certified copy of a military record.

Military Records are now closed pursuant to the Code of Iowa 331.608(6). Consequently, veterans will need to furnish a photo ID in order to obtain their record.

Our Address:
Winneshiek County Recorder
201 W. Main St
Decorah, IA 52101
(563) 382-3486

Having trouble locating your record?

Iowa Veterans may check with the County Recorder in the county of their residence at the time of their discharge to see if they possibly recorded their discharge in that county.
For all Military records not recorded in Winneshiek County, you may request a copy by using the form provided below, and mailing to:

National Personnel Records Center
(Military Personnel Records)
9700 Page Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
(314) 801-0800