The duties of the County Auditor’s Office include preparing the County budget; computing tax levies; managing the Data Processing Department; and acting as County Commissioner of elections.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The primary duties and responsibilities of the Winneshiek County Auditor are as follows:
- Elections – Conduct all elections in the county and maintaining voter registration records.
- Real Estate – Keeps records of all property ownership in the county.
- Taxation – Determines tax rates and property taxes for all taxable property based on valuations and certified local budgets.
- Budgets – Receives and compiles budget information from the various county departments and presents it to the Board of Supervisors. Monitors county budget throughout fiscal year. Acts as a conduit for other local budgets filed with state.
- Accounts Payable and Receivable – Keeps ledger accounts of all revenues and expenditures of the county. Receives claims for payment from various departments, prepares list for Board of Supervisors, issues payment for claims approved by Board.
- Payroll – Keeps all wage and withholding records for county employees. Receives time cards, computes wages, generates and distributes payroll warrants (paychecks).
- Clerk to Board of Supervisors – Takes minutes of meetings and maintains records of Board proceedings.
- Permits – Sells, on behalf of the State of Iowa, permits for beer, liquor and cigarette sales by businesses in the unincorporated areas of the county.